Monday, December 12, 2011

All My Life

Alex and I don't have cable. As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of money & I am perfectly content with our 8 channels. If I had more channels I probably wouldn't have come across the ancient music video of K-Ci & JoJo's "All My Life" while channel surfing (more like boogie-boarding with our limited selection) the other day.

I love the power music has to pick you right up out of your seat (on the couch in your sweats) and sweep you away to 1998, to the passenger seat of your future husband's Chevy Blazer, in the parking lot of Chevron, where you just stopped to pick up a pack of smokes. It's here that you've just hopped in to find the car silent, your boyfriend with a weird & serious look on his face. He keeps the car in park while he fumbles with his prized discman and finally hits PLAY. The intro to 'All My Life' begins to play and you look at your boyfriend and say "awwww."...you recently told him that HAD to be your song! He blushes and looks a little embarrassed. There's more. He reaches into his pocket (the one next to his prized pager that hangs on his waistband) and pulls out a ring. Your cheeks are about to explode from smiling so hard as he tells you it's a promise ring and before he can say anything else you jump across the seat to kiss him!

He doesn't remember it all but that's where this hilariously outdated song takes me. As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I have been listening to it quite a bit tonight, realizing that the man I chose at 18 has fulfilled all the expectations "our song" had set for him. He is as close to me as my motha and brothas. He has picked me up when I've been down...way down....and his sweetness continues to make me smile. It's been 14 years since the night in the Blazer and I am still SO thankful that I found this man...and I hope he feels "the same way tooooo."

1 comment: