Friday, November 2, 2012

Happy :)

I love, love, love me a good documentary-it's hands down my favorite movie genre because I don't feel as guilty sitting still for 2 hours when it's educational.

I especially live for the eye-opening-life-changing-WOW types such as Forks Over Knives and Food Inc. These two caused a lot of tears, flinching, sadness and disgust to yours truly and prompted me to kiss meat good-bye! My eating habits since have drastically changed for the better except for those pesky addictive Butterfingers...

It's been a while since I've had time to sit myself down and browse through the overwhelming Netflix documentary file...choices, choices, CHOICES! But I settled on Happy because I don't know about you, but the lack of sunshine, the endless rain, and the inability to do anything outdoors has me in a bit of a SAD funk, so a doc titled HAPPY was the obvious choice...

This movie is FANTASTIC...worth every inactive minute! You've gotta watch it if you have Netflix or run out and rent it if you are in one of those moods...you won't regret it!

The messages that resonated with me most are:

  • Happiness is a skill...you won't necessarily have it without focusing on it and working towards it! 
  • Intrinsic rewards (what we get from maintaining close relationships with friends/family, doing something bigger than ourselves, having new experiences, etc) give longer lasting pleasure than extrinsic rewards (keeping up appearances, acquiring more material things, etc). YES! Trying to keep up with the Jones' is a recipe for unhappiness.
  • Gratitude=happiness. People who counted their blessings once a week were happier than those who didn't....definitely gonna start doing this!
  • People who "play" are happier...physical activity=happiness. Those who get in "the zone" with their hobbies and experience FLOW are happier.

I have been inspired HARD by this documentary...it has opened my eyes to some of my behaviors that prevent me from feeling happy at times and has given me so many ideas on creating a happier self/family/home...more to come on that. For now here's a little snippet if you're interested.



Today I am wishing you a very HAPPY weekend!!!!! :)
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment